11 April 2009

April 9, 2009

Cathy Rexford & dg okpik

Cathy Tagnak Rexford at the International Gallery of Contemporary Art

I am a cedar mask, devouring my own tongue,
I close the space between my teeth with permafrost.
From this I will heave forth the Brooks Range,
leech my ears into the shape of whale flukes,
mount my face to the white wall
of a gallery.

~

dg nanouk okpik at the International Gallery of Contemporary Art

In realms less traveled with bow heads,
I will settle down to give you this tight bundle of charts
and maps to find me not in unnatural shapes
but in bear grease, in your bowhead counting,
along the sea, in body, in Eucharist, in a seal effigy.


~

~

Tonja Woelber performing a prelude
from Dan Beachy-Quick's
A Whaler's Dictionary


Ossie Kairairuak

Thanks to those who enabled Still North #1:

Chelsea Bailey, Camille Conte, Allison Adelle Hedge Coke, Julie Decker,
Bill Hess, International Gallery of Contemporary Art,
Ossie Kairairuak, Mickey Kenny, Jamie Lang, Susanna Mishler,
Moose's Tooth Brewing Company, Clarke Pelz, Michele Suchland,
Lila Vogt and the Alaska Poetry League, Tonja Woelber

And especially: thank you, Cathy Tagnak Rexford & dg nanouk okpik.